Thursday, April 06, 2006

The Bratz Phenomenon

Can we talk Bratz dolls? I cannot adequately express how much I hate these dolls, which to me (a liberal New Yorker who isn't easily shocked) look like streetwalking, low life hookers.

A friend of mine got them for the girls for the holidays and I almost gagged at the outfits. As soon as the girls weren't looking, I threw them out.

Then yesterday I was in a Michael's craft store with the girls and J saw some Bratz craft thing and wanted it. I told her no, that I don't like the Bratz dolls, that I don't like how they dress or that they show their bellies.

"But I think they're cool and I think they look good," my precocious 5-year-old told me.

I'm horrified that already at 5 years old, this is what J thinks is "cool."

If I tried to wear something like that as a teenager, my mother would have sent me to my room for a week. And now you see pre-pubescents parading around like little hookers. It makes me ill.

I'm no prude, but how do we get the genie back in the box and let little girls be little girls again?

9 Comments:

Blogger landismom said...

I agree--but it's hard to get away from. I ended up having a conversation with my daughter about how I didn't think it was appropriate for kids to wear makeup or dress like that. She ended up getting one for her birthday, and then played with it for like two days before she got bored of it.

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This one is tricky. It's like trying to explain why we sometimes talk to strangers but not other times. And then you add to it S-E-X.

It's another reason why I would like to throw away my tv, if I weren't such a pathetic slave to it myself!

1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From 1st grade and up, it's allllll about American Girl Dolls. Bust out your wallet now, and she'll be the 5 year old "trendsetter."

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I THANK GOD I had a boy, this is one of my biggest pet peeves. I couldn't get a jean jacket until I was in College because my mom thought it looked "cheap and slutty"....and isn't it hard to find a role model that isn't a walking skeleton?

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Were you my roommate in college??? This is Scott Anderson. If so, email me at anderson11262@yahoo.com

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried to reply but my email wouldn't go through so....I went to SUNY Binghamton and graduated in 1984. I lived with a girl named Tracey Miller, John Calabro (who was a dancer) and another girl who's name I'm forgetting right now. We shared a house off campus. Tracey worked on the college radio station and I was a waiter at the club called "The Woods". Does this sound familiar to you?? I get the address for your blog in the alumni magazine and saw your picture and really thought that you could be her.
Let me know. Thanks!!
Scott

10:22 PM  
Blogger workinmom said...

Scott, yes it's me - Tracey!

I sent you an email to your yahoo account, did you get it?

I'd love to catch up with you!!!

Tracey

1:25 PM  
Blogger Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

I'm hoping for a quick backlash before my daughter gets old enough to notice.

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi,

my idea is to buy some Bratz and dress them, complete with bonnets like little house on the prarie... most of them wear boots...and get a Laura Ingles Wilder little house book or two to go with the doll. voila. :) everyone wins.
(ps...toss the original clothes)

1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

motorola razr v3
motorola razr v3