Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Ipod Nano Nano

For those of you from my era, "Nano, Nano" signified the "Mork & Mindy" show, the slightly deranged situation comedy which launched Robin Williams' career in the 1970s.

As a middle-aged mother of two kindergarteners, it has gained a deeper meaning to me since I have become the proud, slightly deranged owner of an Ipod Nano.

Up until I received this sweet little package for the holidays, my musical tastes were lodged firmly in the mid-60s to mid-80s, somewhere between the Beatles and Terence Trent D'Arby.

Then I discovered Itunes.

And while I spent the first few days downloading long-lost favorite tunes from cheesy girl-bands like the Go-Gos and the Bangles (I raise a symbolic lighter to "Eternal Flame") and long-forgotten bands like Yaz ("Only You" and "Misty Blue" - I missed you!) , I slowly started sampling some of the Imixes and nosing around where I imagine navel-pierced 15-year-olds would be appalled that I dared to tread.

My 21-year-old niece may deride Green Day as "so junior high" but they're a new taste for me, and bring me back to my college years when a friend turned me on to The Clash (who GD definitely worshipped when they were in diapers). "Give me Novacaine" is my new anthem and "Are we the Waiting" makes me feel like I'm once again a disaffected youth, even though I'm listening to it while trekking from commuter train to work...in my Tahari suit.

Then there's Carlos Vives, who sings so beautifully in a language I don't understand. And Motion City Soundtrack, whose song "Everything is All Right" is hysterically funny and poignant, all at the same time.

Unlike the teenagers out there who are probably racking up massive debt downloading songs (I have at least a $5 per day habit and I can see the day where I will refer to it as "I-Crack"), at least I've got the disposable income to feed my habit.

And although it may only be another symptom of my burgeoning mid-life crisis, it's still a lot of fun.

And although I haven't yet learned how to use this feature, I can also download and store color photos of the girls, so I'll have them with me when I travel next month to Vegas. I can just see me now, winning the jackpot on Wheel of Fortune, while glancing at the girl's holiday pics and listening to Kanye West.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also have arrested musical development (is that a good band?), and still refer to...whaddyacallems...as "albums".

So far I've browsed others' iMixes and have discovered some new things. Thank goodness! Someone save me from my own musical dorkiness!

1:28 PM  
Blogger landismom said...

Oh, I am totally addicted to my iPod, mostly because my brother & SIL gave me a TransPod for my birthday, and I am now released from the mercy of radio, since I drive a lot for my job.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

I am in a music rut, too. Mine does extend a bit into the 90's, but still, pretty lame. I just have to tell myself that 99 cents a song isn't too big a price to pay for expanding my musical horizons!

p.s. I love the Go-Go's and the Bangles, too.

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

motorola razr v3
motorola razr v3