Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Conversations with a 5-year-old about God

J: Mommy, what did God look like when he was little?

Me (scrambling for what to say): Um, God didn’t grow up like you and me, honey, he was always big.

J: Mommy, how could that happen?

Me: Well, I don’t know, sweetie.

J: Does he live in a house like us?

Me: No, honey. He lives in heaven and watches over us all the time.

J: Mommy, is there a place you can go to learn about God?

Me (relieved and a little excited that she may be ready for Hebrew school): Yes, there is….

J (before I can continue): I think you should go there, Mommy.


Obviously, I don’t have all the answers.


Another conversation about God


J: Mommy, what is heaven like?

Me: Heaven is a wonderful place. You can do anything you want there, and everyone’s happy.

J: What does it look like?

Me (getting increasingly nervous and unsure about what kind of details to offer): It’s whatever your favorite place looks like, sweetie. Whatever you want it to be, wherever you're happiest, that’s what it will be.

J: I want it to be my house.

Me: OK.

J: Mommy, I’m scared to go to heaven.

Me: Don’t be scared sweetie – you won't go there for a long time and heaven is a wonderful place and there’s nothing there that will frighten you there.

J: Mommy, will you hold my hand when I go to heaven?

Me (stifling a sob): Of course I will, honey.


1 Comments:

Blogger landismom said...

Wow, that's a tough conversation to have.

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

motorola razr v3
motorola razr v3