Saturday, November 26, 2005

Black Friday at Woodbury Commons

I've never been a traditional holiday shopper, and I have never ever dared to enter a retail store on the day after Thanksgiving.

But I got my bonus at work this week, and the novelty of the mega outlet mall relatively nearby opening at Midnight on Thanksigiving going on straight through Friday just sent me over the edge.

So I convinced my 20-year-old niece to sleep over, and we woke up at 4 a.m., piled into the car and drove 90 miles to the mall.

When we arrived at 5:30 a.m., the parking lot was nearing capacity and we actually had to hunt for a spot. Without so much as a cup of coffee, we then embarked on an early morning 6-hour shopping binge and I have to say...it was fun. I felt like I was on that old game show "Beat the Clock" trying to collect bargain items that I really wanted or needed before the early, early sales ended at 8 a.m. (snagged some beautiful cashmere sweaters for 35 percent off but was otherwise thwarted in my quest for the ultimate deal- my niece was luckier with a $40 gorgeous cashmere poncho from a very trendy store).

It was the thrill of the chase, the feeling that I haven't had in a long while of money to burn, and the very real need to purchase some new clothes so I can stop wearing the same suits and sweaters that I've worn for the past two years that I've had this new upscale job.

I got a pair of leather boots that made the entire trip worthwhile - great with skirts for work and my assumption that my husband would appreciate them, too, proved correct.

I never really considered myself someone who loves to shop, but I definitely discovered my "inner shopper" yesterday, and she is a force to behold. She can walk into a store and within 2 minutes know if it's worth her time to further explore, she can eyeball a leather bag from 20 paces and know it's not "the one," she can whip out her Amex card in 2 minutes flat when she knows the object of her affection is just right.

Another joy of this trip is that it was one of those days where money, time and effort was spent solely on me. As a mother, wife and busy career woman, there's precious little of anything I spend just on myself - and the shopping really did relax me and make me feel good. I deserve to have nice things and spend time on just myself (and as a nice byproduct, got to spend some quality time with my niece - something just the two of us haven't been able to do in many years).

So to paraphrase Gordon Gekko from the movie "Wall Street," "Shopping is Good."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

motorola razr v3
motorola razr v3