Sunday, March 04, 2007

I tumble, therefore I am

A few weeks ago, I signed my girls up for a gymnastics class.

It's the first organized activity I've created for them - ever. Up until now, I didn't think they had the maturity, or the attention span, to really get something out it.

Interestingly, I'm the only parent of the 9 girls in the class who sticks around to watch them go through their paces. I probably could convince the girls to let me leave for the 90-minute class, but I confess - I enjoy it it too much to want to go away.

They still act a bit goofy and immature (they're the youngest girls in the class), but I also see the concentration on their little faces when they gingerly push beyond their known limits to try a dip on the balance beam, or a new sequence on the trampoline. They're discovering a new and powerful relationship with their body, and it's wonderful to watch.

And it takes me back to my own brief gymnastics career.

My 15 minutes of athletic fame came in sixth grade, when I somehow blossomed into a pretty good gymnast. My piece of equipment was the low parallel bars, although I also loved sailing over the horse and swinging on the unevens. I remember truly enjoying the effort it took to perfect my routines. And how proud I was during an exhibition that my father was able to come see me.

My mother, a working mother, couldn't make it that day. And I do remember feeling angry that she couldn't be there instead of him. But think of it - how wonderful is it that my father, who was self-employed, could take time from his busy day to be there for me?

Gymnastics was a big focus for me that year, and it culminated in one of the biggest surprises of my life.

I was a member of the orchestra and was playing the violin on stage during our sixth grade graduation ceremonies.

As they began awarding the prizes for different academic and athletic achievements, I remember thinking how wonderful it would be if I could win an award, but I didn't think there was anything I truly excelled at that would make me worthy of such an honor.

When they got to the gymnastics award, my gym teacher went to the podium and started talking about a young girl out in the audience who had put her all into excelling that year. Instantly, my heart sank. She couldn't be talking about me, because I was up on the stage.

Nevertheless, a few moments later, she called out my name, and I rose from my chair, put down my violin, and went up to accept the award. She had purposely thrown me off, to make the surprise that I had won all the more thrilling.

That silver statue of a young girl doing a perfect handstand has traveled with me throughout a life where I've accumulated and lost too many material possessions to even count. But I always kept her, a symbol of something for which I've always been unabashedly proud. For a brief, sweet, wonderful moment in time, I was a gymnast.

I have no idea how well my daughters will do in gymnastics, or whether it's something one or the other will want to pursue as they get older.

But it's been eye-opening to me to see them fall, get up, and keep trying. Brushing each failure off with a laugh or a grin, and practicing each move til they get it - well maybe not quite right yet, but pretty darn close.

And I realize that each little victory they make in forming a letter correctly, understanding a math pattern, or perfecting a forward roll brings them one step closer to the self-assured adults I hope they'll one day become.

And if one or both of them happen to fall in love with the sport, you can be sure that either my husband or I will be there when they get their chance to shine. And I might just bring my father along, too. Just for the history.

7 Comments:

Blogger April said...

I can't wait to hear how your girls are doing Tracey. Please update when you can. I'm sure they'll do great!

10:35 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

ooh, Tracey I wish I could have seen you in gymnastics! I know your girls must be the cutest things going. Good for you for enjoying them so much. x Sarah

10:16 AM  
Blogger Melody said...

I'm new to blogging and found your site through a random search about working moms. I enjoy reading your posts!

11:07 PM  
Blogger chessiakelley said...

Gymnastics is so great for your girls. I think nothing teaches confidence and grace like athletics. For working moms, gymnastics definitely serves you better than dance or iceskating-not due to any qualities of the sports themselves, but the costumes...oh the costumes! Moms spend HOURS making those costumes. I've been working for the New York Kids Club as of late, and they also offer lots of no fuss classes for kids like rock climbing/martial arts/cooking classes. Its tough to be a working mom, and simple oversights like figure skating can be oh so complicated (my poor mom enrolled me and my 2 sisters and was forced to work in the concession stands and bead costumes,). Good luck to the girls! I hope trophies and fun times are in store.

3:26 PM  
Blogger cat said...

Just started reading your blog and loving it. I am also a working mom, just on the edge of 40 with a toddler and 8 month old twins.

7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

12:23 AM  
Anonymous AprilC. said...

I just came across your blog and was sad to see you haven't written anything recently. I'm looking for a blog written by a mother who works, but doesn't work from home and/or make a living off of their blog. They are hard to come by.

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

motorola razr v3
motorola razr v3