Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Reflections of me

The girls are in that limbo week of after-camp, before school starts, so since we're staying in the city with my Mom, I had the bright idea that she bring them to my office in the afternoon for an hour.

Another woman at work had her 6-year-old daughter there with her all day, and I thought it would be nice for them to meet and play together.

What was I thinking?

While the other child played nicely and quietly during her two full, 8-hour days there, my tornados both acted as if they had no other aim for that one hour than to

a. laugh as loudly as possible
b. run, while talking/shouting down the corridors
c. be rude to every adult who tried to engage them in conversation
d. ignore every plea, threat, or demand from me - their presumed parental figure, to behave

I admit it - I felt whipped, embarrassed, and utterly unable to control my children.

And I felt like everyone there missed the opportunity to see the best sides of my children. I didn't even attempt to introduce them to anyone after their mania became evident, and spent most of the hour trying to herd them into a conference room, or lock them in my office.

Now I understand why my mother made me write thank-you notes, and refused to let me go to the theater in ripped jeans.

I am a reflection of her parenting, and my children are now a reflection of me.

I know my girls can be angels, but they were in complete disguise today, and will not be coming to visit again anytime soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger landismom said...

Yeah, that feeling of parenting-in-public (especially the public of your office) is so unnerving.

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

motorola razr v3
motorola razr v3